My Bike

Friday, August 23, 2013


My bike was used last weekend.
But not by me.
My husband tried it out first.



It's very easy to ride.
Apparently.
He rode it over to a field.  I followed on my quad.

Then it was my turn.  I just sat on it for awhile.  Rocked it sideways.  Getting used to the weight of it.  Then it was time to go.
It has a clutch.  Same as a manual car....you rev the gas and slowing let go of the clutch and then you take off.
I did it.
  I went a few feet and then stopped and turned it off.  I started it again.  Took off.  When I slowed down to stop...I didn't put my foot out far enough and the bike tipped on me.  It didn't hurt.  And I wasn't scared.

But...

I hated it.
  
I felt sick to my stomach the whole time.  I can't even pinpoint why.  But I think what I didn't like was the what ifs.  What if I couldn't stop it?  What if I killed it?  What if I tipped it over? I hated not knowing exactly when I was going to take off.   I think a part of me dumped it on purpose because in my mind...I figured it was going to happen anyway and this way I had control over when it was going to happen.

I know.  That is crazy.  But I think it's true.
Because that's the only part that I could really control.
Falling off.


We went back to camp and Micah wanted to try it.


Its to big for him.  And a little different then his bike.  His dad gave him some quick instructions.  And then he was off.


He did great.
I was so jealous.  He made it look so easy.  But I have to remember that he has been riding for about two years now.
And I have been riding for five seconds.



See mom?  Easy peasy.

Can we just take a look at all that gear for a second?  He was just tootling around our campsite and he has full gear on.  Always.
Boots, helmet, goggles (pink!), chest protector, neck protector and gloves.
I know he could still get hurt.  But we do all we can to ride safe.
Always.

I will get on my bike again.
 
I'm just not sure when.
 
Part of it is that right now...my anxiety is through the roof.  I am terribly jumpy, skittish and unsettled.  I talked to Jaime about it.  She suggested adding another med.
I really don't want too....but if it will relax me a bit...I think it might be good.
Because these days...it doesn't take alot to get my heart palpitating.  A unexpected noise.  Or movement.  I keep expecting something bad to happen.  A car to cross over the line.  Falling down our stairs.  Something to fall out of the cupboard when I open it.
Not a fun way to go through the day.

So.  Maybe when I get a little more settled...I will try the bike again.
And not expect the worst.  And not be so scared.
And love it.




Comments:

Leave a Reply