Dying Is Hard Work

Wednesday, August 21, 2013


My boss is exhausted.  And it's no wonder.  Her body is fighting so hard to live.  It is failing but it doesn't want to give up either.   Her mind is working hard too.  It is planning and caring and sorting things out.  She is weak and has no interest in eating.

And so she sleeps.

I take advantage of the moments she is awake.  We take care of business.  Phone calls, emails, bills, the mail.  I talk quietly and she says I have a soothing voice.  It's all I want to do ....soothe her. Make her feel better.  More comfortable.  I want to help her with this process somehow.  But I know I can only do so much.

She is the one who is working hard.  Using every ounce of energy she has to stay with us.  Some days I am grateful she is fighting so hard.  Other days....I want her to just let go.

She has worked hard long enough.




Comments:

Leave a Reply