At Least I Cooked

Sunday, June 23, 2013


First off....I realize I spelled Teriyaki wrong.  How could I have forgotten the "y"?  I'm pretty sure my family won't notice though. 

The weekend didn't feel like a weekend.  Partly because I was feeling bad.  And partly because I went into work both Saturday and Sunday. 

Despite feeling lousy and tired and unmotivated....I pushed through it and made the first four dinners on Saturday so they are ready for the week.  They were easy and didn't take to long to prepare.  I couldn't just stay in bed all day.  Even though I REALLY wanted too.  I'm not sure what my work schedule will be like this week so I knew I had to do something around the house or I would really be in trouble come Monday.  I didn't feel like cleaning or doing laundry so I cooked. Sunday I made the lasagna. 

On Friday I had cut some fresh herbs from my bosses herb garden (the gardener takes care of it...yes she can afford a gardener).  I cut some basil, oregano, chives and parsley.  I could not let those beautiful herbs rot in my refrigerator.  So I based my menu off of them.

I think my favorite is basil.

I fell in love with it when I visited Paris and had a Caprese sandwich.  Basil leaves, tomato slices and a thick slice of mozzarella on french bread. Grilled so the mozzarella strings when you pull the sandwich away from your mouth.  Yum. 



I'm no expert on fresh herbs but if you can somehow get them or grow them...do it.  They SMELL.  I mean...you buy them dried in the little jar and they hardly have any fragrance.  Take for instance oregano.



This is what it looks like in fresh form.  It's scent was so strong i could smell it all over my kitchen.  I would love to cook with fresh herbs all the time but it's just not possible.  And honestly...my family would never know the difference.  I just like the whole process of it.  Cutting the herbs from the plant and then chopping them up at home.  Tasting them. Smelling them. 

Maybe one day I'll have my own little herb garden. 

On a entirely different note...I bought these giant cupcakes (miniature cakes?) at Costco.


When my oldest son saw them he said, "Holy cow!  What are we supposed to do....cut them in fourths or something?"

I said, "Uh...I just ate a whole one."

He looked at me like I was nuts. 

I guess if the shoe fits. 

I was pretty proud of myself for making some meals and for half way cleaning up the kitchen.  It was better then nothing.  Which was what I felt like doing. 

And which I have done in the past. 

It made the time go faster which is good since all day I ask myself...is it time for bed yet?

If I'm going to feel bad I might as well feel bad doing something productive. 

If I spent the day in bed I would still feel bad.  But guilty as well.   

So......Go me? Yay for Amy for cooking five meals and for single handedly devouring a cupcake made for four!  It was worth it.  The cupcake and the self push. 


Comments:

Leave a Reply