A,B,C's

Tuesday, April 16, 2013





I love to go to antique stores, flea markets, goodwills and garage sales.  I rarely buy anything.  I just love to look and touch things.  The best of all is when I see something that triggers a memory. The other day I was at a little junk shop in a small town ran by two old ladies.  One of whom was embroidering flowers on a table cloth.  I slowly strolled the isles.  I came across a table with glass jars, old towels and other odds and ends.  Nothing really struck me except for the smell. 

It smelled like my Grandma Oney's kitchen.  I closed my eyes and breathed it in.  I was at her kitchen table.  Eating cereal.  Grandpa was telling me to scrape the cereal off the sides of the bowl into the milk.  Grandma was digging in the refrigerator that was always absolutely packed, swearing under her breath.  I was sitting on my legs because I was afraid one of the cats would brush up against me.
  
Then it was gone.  

I moved on. 

I found this.




I smiled.  When I was little I had a box just like this one that held all my crayons.  It never dawned on me that it was a cigar box. Where did I even get this? No one in my family smoked. All i knew is that this bright and colorful box held my crayons.  

Hello King Edward!  



There was two of them and I bought them both.  I have no idea what I will use them for.  Craft supplies?  Odds and Ends?  Cigars? 

Joking.
 
Actually I can't imagine anything in them except for crayons. 

In another booth I found some old blocks like the ones at the begining of the post.  They were in pretty bad shape.  Most were colored on and looked like a dog had chewed them. They were a buck a piece.  All the good letters were gone.  But I knew I had to have some.  So I looked on ebay and found a complete set with numbers for twelve bucks.  Sold! 








There is never enough "E"'s. 




I love the search and the surprises I find sometimes. 
I guess it is true that one persons trash may be another persons treasure. 
Even if sometimes the treasures aren't something I can buy. 
I feel them instead. 


Comments:

Leave a Reply