Sweet Dreams

Friday, February 21, 2014




My doctor ordered a sleep study for me.  Sleep disorders can cause depression.  Or depression can cause sleep disorders.  If you have a sleep disorder, sometimes that can be treated and then the depression goes away.

I'm pretty sure that it's my depression that's causing me not to sleep.  Not the other way around.  But I listened to the doctor and had a sleep study last night.




I arrived at 7:30 pm.   My sleep tech was a guy.  That was awkward.  He made sure I was comfortable and then left me alone till about 9:30.  I watched four episodes of How I Met Your Mother.

Then he came in and attached electrodes to my head, leg and chest.




All the wires were connected to this box.


It was all very strange.  There was a video camera that pointed right at the bed.  They watch you. They are listening too.
It creeped me out.
I did fall asleep though.  I only remember one dream.  It was about Flo from the Progressive Insurance commercials.  I met her in real life and she was 6 foot 3.

I had to wear a cannula.  There wasn't oxygen flow.  It was just to measure my breathing.  After awhile my ears began to ache from the tubes.  I kept thinking of my boss.  She had terrible sores on her ears.  We tried putting pads on them.  Nothing really helped.  It made me so sad thinking about it.

Then I wondered if the electrodes on my head was telling them that I was sad.  Could they tell if I had a song in my head?
I hope not.
I kept going back and forth from "Brave" by Sara Bareilles and "C is for Cookie" by Cookie Monster.

The tech came in only once during the night to reattach a electrode that had moved.  Then he came in again at 6 to wake me up.

I was already awake.

I'm anxious to hear what the information all says about me.  He said someone would call in five to ten days.

It could be nothing.

It could be something.

Either way....I really hope I don't have to do this again.


Comments:

Leave a Reply