Hunting

Thursday, September 26, 2013


Before my boss died  I had a rare day off and I decided to hit a few garage sales.  That takes a bit of planning.  I used Craigslist to get organized.  I found two huge neighborhood sales, an estate sale and a barn sale.

My first stop?

Scooters.

Next up was one of the neighborhood  sales. There were about 12 garage sales.  I stopped at a couple.

Then I hit the jackpot.


I found an old sewing rocking chair.  It's a bit shorter then most chairs but perfect for me.  It's my new desk chair.  It was a little pricey at 25 bucks...but after I sat in it...I had to have it.

The barn sale was about 45 minutes away in Logan, Iowa.  I entered the address on my phone.  It took me to a gravel road.  That turned into a dirt road.  Which would have been alright...except for it had just poured rain.  I thought I would be fine...having a four wheel drive and all.

Nope.


Those are all mine.  If there had been a ditch...I would have slid in it. Thankfully there wasn't and I was able to back down the road.

I didn't drive 45 minutes for nothing though!  I had to find that barn! I went back out to the main road and a few miles down I saw some signs.



Very cool barn packed with old stuff.  Most of which I wasn't interested in.  I did buy this cabinet for two dollars.


It's upside down. I think I will take the doors off and paint it.

I drove back into town  to the estate sell.  Estate sales always make me sad.  Its usually in a house where old people used to live.  They are either dead or in a nursing home.  And the things that have "value" are for the picking by complete strangers.

The house had a tiny back yard with a gigantic pear tree.  The branches were so heavy they were drooping with pears.  The yard was littered with them.  I wish I would have had the nerve to ask if I could pick some.

I went inside and walked from room to room.  If I was alone I would have lingered in those rooms and touched everything.  But there was alot of people in there and some were loud talkers.  Kind of takes away from the experience.  I found this gem for ten dollars.




I loved the color and how petite it was. It works too!  I can't wait to find a spot for it in my office.

I thought the day was successful.  I'm still on the hunt for dining room chairs. This Friday me and my husband are going on the "Junk Jaunt".  It is miles and miles of garage, barn and estate sales.  About 35 small towns participate.  We are going to leave early and start in Cairo (not far from Grand Island) and end up in Halsey.  We will camp there and then head back home going a different route.

Hopefully the truck with be full of treasures.  If not, I will still enjoy the hunt.


Comments:

Leave a Reply